Early history, from cave drawings, scrolls, hieroglyphics, stone carvings etc., records that mankind from all parts of the globe and civilizations (primitive and advanced) believed/believes in a deity.
This belief was/is embraced by the rich and poor, educated and uneducated, kings and peasants, and all races. Worship, sacrifice, praise, prayers, and offerings have all been given to God or the gods and continue to do so to this present day (click here for a list of the religious populations of the world).
I must also mention that disbelief in God is not a new concept and has been around for many many centuries. As long as there has been a belief in God I am sure that their has also been a disbelief in him. The two seem to go hand in hand. It’s just the way mankind is and for the most part the two have agreed to disagree.
However, something else is developing. In the years that my life on this earth has circled the sun, belief in God has been a steady and acceptable practice. But over the last few years a spirit of intolerance is on the rise. Prejudice and labeling is becoming increasingly prevalent and it seems to have a target. But not all religions are in the cross-hairs. So lets find out which one is.
Top five religions of the world (not in order of popularity). source – Wikipedia
- Hinduism – Most are vegetarians because of their belief in reincarnation which is the religious or philosophical concept that the soul or spirit, after biological death, begins a new life in a new body that may be human, animal or spiritual depending on the moral quality of the previous life’s actions. In their eyes all living beings, humans and animals should be treated equally with respect. The main goal of the Hindu religion is to become one with Brahman, the creator.
- Judaism – The first monotheistic religion – the belief that God is one. The Jewish people believe that the Torah (first five books of the Hebrew Bible) is where God revealed himself and entered into a covenant relationship with them. They are bound to Mosaic law in which God’s ten commandments are a part. They await the coming of God’s Messiah who will restore Gods’ kingdom on earth and rule in peace.
- Buddhism – See nirvana a religious teaching propagated by the Buddha and his followers, which declares that by destroying greed, hatred, and delusion, which are the causes of all suffering, man can attain perfect enlightenment.
- Christianity – is a monotheistic belief in one God and the redemption of man through the sacrificial death of God’s only son Jesus the Christ. The mainstream Christian belief is that Jesus is the Son of God, fully divine and fully human and the savior of humanity. Because of this, Christians commonly refer to Jesus as Christ or Messiah. Jesus’ ministry, sacrificial death, and subsequent resurrection are often referred to as the Gospel, meaning “Good News” (from the Greek: εὐαγγέλιον euangélion). In short, the Gospel is news of God the Father’s eternal victory over evil, and the promise of salvation and eternal life for all people, through divine grace.
- Islam – Islam’s most fundamental concept is a rigorous monotheism, called tawhīd (Arabic: توحيد). God is described in chapter 112 of the Qur’an as: “Say: He is God, the One and Only; God, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him.” (112:1-4) Muslims repudiate the Christian doctrine of the Trinity and divinity of Jesus, comparing it to polytheism. In Islam, God is beyond all comprehension and Muslims are not expected to visualize God. Muslims believe all mankind will be judged on their good and bad deeds and must follow The Five Pillars of Islam which are considered obligatory for all believers.
As I live my everyday life out and about I either overhear, read, or witness on television the growing intolerance and hatred towards one of the five religions mentioned above. For years it has been quiet static lurking in the background but the volume is increasing. The static is getting loud and as I mentioned earlier it has a target.
Have you guessed which one of the top five religions it is? Which one do you think is in the cross-hairs and is being accused of being intolerant, prejudice, judgmental and condemning? That those who are followers of it are unintelligent simple-minded bigots who are a danger to society and the progression of man?
I’ll give you a hint, it is the one that offers forgiveness, unconditional love, mercy, grace and salvation. It is extended to all…ALL..people and does not judge nor hate. There is no respecter of person and is not based on works, gender or race. It says to come as you are (blemishes and all) and that it can forgive your deepest sins. You can not earn what it has to offer but what it offers is free to anyone that accepts and asks for it. It is a gift and all one has to do to receive it is to repent.
Does that sound like what it is being accused of? Would the one sharing that information be a danger or threat to society? The religion in question is Christianity. So why do you think its is being attacked? Please post your answer below.